Sports Injury – overview, symptoms, causes and treatment at Medharbour
Sport injury refers to tear , damage or disruption of the musculoskeletal system of the human body due to strenuous exercise, sports or athletic activities. It might also affect gardeners, painters and factory workers though they aren’t directly related to sports . At Medharbour, we have a well established centre for sports injury to help you relieve from acute to chronic pain .
Sports injury usually targets shoulder,elbow,knee,foot and ankle , all of which is the network of muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, and other tissues that provides the body with stability and enables movement.
Treatment for sports Injury depends upon the severity and type of injury .The minor ones can be treated at home by using RICE treatment ( Rest,Icing, Compression and Elevation) ,major injuries may require surgery followed by rehabilitation inclusive of physiotherapy and medication.
Causes of sports injury
Sports injury are quite common in active people and there are a wide variety of reasons for sustaining it :
- Incorrect exercise
- Repeating the same motion over and over again.
- Sharp turn of the body
- Improper shoes
- Running and jumping on hard surface
- Exertion after a prior injury
- Changing the intensity of physical activity suddenly and not gradually.
- Anatomical abnormality of bones/ muscles
- Absence of proper protection equipment
Types of sports injury
Sports injury is broadly classified into two categories:
- Acute injury- that happens all of a sudden.
- Chronic injury – that happens due to overuse of an already injured part .
Types of musculoskeletal injuries
Every type of sports injury more or less impacts the musculoskeletal system . Damage to the bone results in fractures and dislocation , to the muscle causes sprains and strains , to the cushion between bones causes bursitis and to the tendons causes tendonitis.
All of these terms have been briefly explained below :
- Bone fracture :A sudden breakage of bone that occurs from a quick, one-time injury, known as an acute fracture and the one that’s caused due to recurring stress, known as a stress fracture. Growth plate fractures are common in growing children.
- Dislocation: The misplacement of two bones that are naturally aligned is called dislocation. Sports that involve significant stretching and falling often result in dislocation. The bones sometimes come back to their original position but if not so , seek immediate medical help.
- Sprain : Ankles , knees and wrists are most prone to sprain. Sprains are stretches or tears of ligaments, the bands of connective tissue that join the end of one bone with another.Sprains can range from a minimally stretched ligament to complete tear .
- Strain : A strain is too much stress on a muscle resulting in a tear. It is also called a pulled muscle. A strain is a painful injury. It can be caused by an accident, overusing a muscle, or using a muscle in the wrong way.
- Tendinitis: Tendinitis is inflammation of the thick fibrous cords that attach muscle to bone. The condition causes pain and tenderness.It’s most common around shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees and heels.
- Bursitis:Bursitis affects the small, fluid-filled sacs called bursae that cushion the bones, tendons and muscles near joints. Bursitis occurs when bursae become inflamed.
Common sports injuries and its treatment at Medharbour
There are many different kinds of sports injuries resulting in acute to chronic pain . Few of them have been summarised here .
- Shoulder injury
- Rotator cuff injury
- Elbow injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Little league elbow
- Ulnar collateral ligament injury
- Knee injuries
- Runner’s knee
- Torn ligament
- Tendon tear
- Meniscal tear
- Ankle injuries
- Ankle sprain
- Achilles tendinitis
- Leg injuries
- Hamstring strain
- Groyne pull
- Shin splints
Symptoms of sports injury
Following are the first hand symptoms of sports injury :
- Sudden severe pain
- Redness , swelling
- Inability to move
- Difficulty in putting weight on target area
- Pain that needs RICE or doesn’t go away with RICE treatment
- A bone or joint that visibly out of place
- Lack of mobility and weakness.
Dr. Nagendra Prasad, orthopaedic and sports injury surgeon at Medharbour heads the unit with utmost sincerity and dedication.
Dr.Famila Yadav, sports injury physiotherapist is an expert in treating alike injuries . Do visit our sports injury centre for best possible treatment without any delay .
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Knee & Hip
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports Injuries
- Pain Management
- Neuro Rehab
- Interventional Neurology
- Residential Care
- Breast Rehab
- Cardiovascular Treatments
- Geriatric Rehab
- General Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Ayurveda & Naturopathy
- Cancer Care
- Plastic Surgeries
- Dental Care
- Hair Transplant
- Wellness Fitness