The word Ayurveda is composed of two words, ‘ayus’ meaning ‘life’ and ‘veda’ meaning ‘knowledge’. Therefore it can be derived that Ayurveda is the knowledge of life or the study of life.
Naturopathy on the other hand, is the holistic approach to human wellness and education of the patient and his family about healthy living.Naturopathy emphasises upon importance for a healthy diet,fasting,clean water, exercise, sunlight, and stress management.
Ayurveda and Naturopathy are age old systems of alternative medicines and are used interchangeably for curing illness through natural sources. At Medharbour, we have a distinct unit for treatment of patients who believe in ayurvedic naturopathy or want to switch on to ayurvedic naturopathy for treating illness as it has no side effects.
The three doshas in Ayurveda
In Ayurvedic scripts, Dosha balance is emphasised, and suppressing natural urges is considered unhealthy and the root cause of illness .Ayurveda texts describe three vital doshas
- vata ( air, which some modern authors equate with the nervous system)
- pitta (bile, fire, equated by some with enzymes)
- kapha (phlegm, or earth and water, equated by some with mucus)
It is believed that the balance (samyaktva) of the doshas results in health, while imbalance (viṣamatva) results in diseases. One Ayurvedic view is that the doshas are balanced when they are equal to each other, while another view is that each human possesses a unique combination of the doshas which define this person’s temperament and characteristics. Ayurveda doctors have developed various medicinal preparations and surgical procedures which are believed to be 3000 years old.
Eight components of Ayurveda
The earliest classical Sanskrit works on Ayurveda describe medicine as being divided into eight components:
- Kayachikitsa: general medicine, medicine for the entire body ( just like modern day physicians)
- Kaumara-bhṛtya: Discussions about prenatal and postnatal care of baby and mother; methods of conception, intelligence of the child,childhood diseases(modern day paediatrics and gynaecology)
- Shalyatantra: surgical techniques and removal of foreign objects (modern day surgery )
- Shalakya Tantra: treatment of pain and infections of ear ,nose ,mouth and throat ( modern day ENT specialist)
- Bhuta Vidya: people who are affected by possessing spirits and are mentally unstable for this reason ( modern day psychiatrist)
- Agadatantra/Vishagara-vairodh Tantra: study of toxins in animals, vegetables and minerals and researching their antidotes ( modern day scientist)
- Rasayana Tantra: Revitalization tonics for health, longevity, intellect and strength(modern day physician or bariatrician)
- Vajikaraṇatantra: use of aphrodisiacs for increasing sexual desire,volume and viability of semen,infertility problems( modern day sexologist)
Understanding Ayurvedic terminology
As per the Ayurveda, the human body is made up of tissues (dhatus), waste (malas), and humoral biomaterials (doshas).The seven dhatus are
- chyle (rasa)
- blood (rakta)
- muscles (māmsa)
- fat (meda)
- bone (asthi)
- marrow (majja),
- semen (shukra).
Ayurveda divided bodily substances into five classical elements called panchamahabhuta in Sanskrit.
These are as follows:
earth, water, fire, air and ether. As per the Ayurvedic treatment there are channels (srotas) which transport fluids, and the channels can be opened up by massage treatment using oils and Swedana (fomentation). The practitioners believe that these blocked channels cause diseases.
How to diagnose illness in Ayurveda
Ayurveda has eight ways to diagnose illness,as mentioned below :
- Nadi (pulse)
- Mootra (urine)
- Mala (stool)
- Jihva (tongue)
- Shabda (speech)
- Sparsha (touch)
- Druk (vision)
- Aakruti (appearance)
What is naturopathy?
According to the manifesto of the British Naturopathic Association, ‘’Naturopathy is a system of treatment which lays emphasis on the existence of the vital curative force within the body.’’
This means that Naturopathy uses the body’s mechanism and energy to fix its own issues . Naturopathy practitioners highlight that the main cause of any disease is the accumulation of morbid matter in the body and the treatment of all the diseases is the elimination of morbid matter from the body. Bacteria and viruses get into the human body only when there is an accumulation of morbid matter.
Under naturopathy, it’s believed that chronic diseases evolve due to suppression of acute diseases and acute diseases are actually warning signs from the body. Naturopathy relies on the fact that nature is the greatest cure ,the human body is powerful enough to free itself from any ailment.
Main elements of naturopathy
- In Naturopathy treatment, the suppressed diseases are highlighted and treated permanently from the roots.
- Naturopathy treats all aspects of the human body viz.,mental, physical, social, and spiritual.
- Naturopathy is a boon to the human body and makes sure that the entire body is redirected towards finding one disease.
- In Naturopathy, it is believed that ‘’food is the only medicine’’ and all cure comes from food.
- Naturopathy strives for religious contentment and practice.
Important Treatments of Naturopathy
- Mud pack, Mud Applications and Mud Bath, Underground Mud Bath, Mud Pool Bath
- Hip Bath,Spinal Bath, Spinal Spray Bath
- Immersion Bath, Friction Bath
- Foot Bath, Arm Bath
- Steam Bath, Sauna Bath,Sun Bath, Colour Sun Bath (Chromo Bath),Green Leaves Sun Bath
- Hot & Cold Fomentation
- Wet Sheet Pack, Chest Pack, Abdomen Pack, Trunk Pack,Knee Pack, Neck Pack, Wet Girdle Pack,Enema-Warm Water etc.
- Circular Jet Bath
- Deluxe Hydro Massage, Jacuzzi,Hot and Cold Water Douches, Effusions,Whirlpool Bath
- Underwater Exercises
- Magnet Therapy,Colour Therapy
- Exercise Therapy, Electrotherapy
Diseases cured by naturopathy
It widely helps in curing diabetes, respiratory issues, infertility problems,lifestyle-related problems,PCOS and other hormonal diseases in females , in combating tumours and inhibiting cancer.
What does Naturopathy use to heal ?
Naturopathy is strictly against the use of artificial drugs for cure of any ailment . Naturopaths believe that all power lies within the body and can be healed through a range of efforts and it all starts with believing in one’s own body .
Therapies may include nutritional diet, natural and herbal medicines, homoeopathy, lifestyle changes ,tactile therapies, such as massage, acupressure etc .
A study shows that 80 percent of people in India used Ayurvedic Naturopathy exclusively or combined with conventional Western medicines.
Medharbour,Gurgaon has specialist and experienced doctors in treating you through yoga , exercises,massages, lifestyle changes and natural herbs .
If you are searching for ‘ best Naturopath near you ‘ or the’ best ayurvedic doctor near you ‘ we are your destination. Book your appointment today , for healthy changes at Medharbour!
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Knee & Hip
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports Injuries
- Pain Management
- Neuro Rehab
- Interventional Neurology
- Residential Care
- Breast Rehab
- Cardiovascular Treatments
- Geriatric Rehab
- General Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Ayurveda & Naturopathy
- Cancer Care
- Plastic Surgeries
- Dental Care
- Hair Transplant
- Wellness Fitness