Ever got embarrassed looking at your college groupfie where your teeth looked dirty yellow ? Or the bad breath that stops you from talking or putting up your views ? Or the cavity aches the night before your exam ? I am sure you have faced either of these situations at some point of time. Dental care or oral hygiene is as important as any of your major internal organs.What is dental care ?
Oral health refers to the health of the teeth, gums, and the entire oral-facial system that allows us to smile, speak, and chew.Dental or oral health aims to prevent complications such as tooth decay (cavities), gum disease and to maintain the overall health of your mouth.
Dental care speaks of your hygiene level as well as the internal well being of your body .
Importance of dental care
The importance of dental care can’t be stressed enough. It’s just so important to have healthy teeth and gums to smile brighter ,chew better ,have a great jawline structure and better speech .
Mentioned below are points that tell how important it is to maintain dental health.
- Daily brushing and flossing keeps bacteria under control .Under germination of bacterias there can be severe problems of cavity and bad breath.
- A good set of teeth give structure to the face by uplifting the jawline.
- Crooked or missing teeth can bring difficulty in chewing.
- Sharp teeth can hurt cheeks from the inside making it difficult to talk and eat.
- There can be problems in speech due to misalignment of teeth.
- Gum or teeth pain hurts not only the affected area but also causes headache and earache.
5 principles for good oral hygiene
The following are the five most important principles to follow for good oral hygiene.
- Brush daily at least two times a day – before sleeping and after getting up.
- Use fluoride toothpaste – that’s the best you can give to your teeth.
- Emphasis upon mouthwash – they are good for places where brush can’t reach.
- Drink plenty of water – it’s a boon for mankind.
Avoid sweets and drinks – they do more bad than good. Consume it in a very restricted quantity.
Dental care things or tools for dental care
The dental pharmacy has a wide variety of products that may spin your head.But,there are just a handful of tools for oral health that you must have in order to mental dental hygiene and healthy gums.
Toothbrushes: When buying a toothbrush, you’ll see hard, medium, and soft bristles. Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush as hard and even medium bristles are too abrasive for your teeth . Always brush with gentle strokes in a circular motion. You may choose an electric toothbrush in order to prevent scraping.
Toothpaste: Choose a toothpaste with fluoride . It will help strengthen enamel and prevent tooth decay . Your toothpaste need not be of a vibrant colour or a good taste but must definitely have fluoride in it’s ingredients.
Dental floss : flossing is a must for healthy teeth. You can choose waxed floss or flossing teeth if you have less space in between your teeth and choose unwaxed floss if the space is wider.
Mouthwash : you can choose from a wide variety of mouthwash that cater different problems. They serve the purpose of plaque reduction, prevent gingivitis and even fight cavities.
Tongue scrapers: Tongue scrapers can help lessen bad breath by reducing the amount of bacteria that cause it. Even if you clean your teeth with a toothbrush,some bacteria can still reproduce on your tongue.
Tooth picks and sticks: While chewing a raw vegetable or meat ,it sometimes get into narrow spaces between your teeth that can be irritating and rot with time. Toothpicks come to the rescue in this case.
Various types of dental care /Dentists and other oral health care providers
Dental care is divided into various categories just like branches of medical science . There are various types of dentists and oral health care providers near you in Gurgaon.Let’s have a look .
- General dentist: A general dentist diagnoses, treats, and manages your overall oral health care needs, including gum care, root canals, fillings, crowns, veneers, bridges, and preventive education.
- Endodontics: An endodontist is also known as a root canal specialist. They treat the sick, dead, inflamed or infected nerve of a tooth that can cause excruciating pain.
- Periodontologist: periodontology is the study of gums .A periodontist is concerned with preventing, diagnosing, and treating various gum issues.
- Paediatric dentist: A paediatric dentist is the oral health care provider who specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of the dental problems of children.
- Oral and maxillofacial radiologist:the oral health care provider who specialises in capturing and interpretation of all types of X-ray images and data that are used in the diagnosis and management of the oral and maxillofacial region.
- Prosthodontist: prosthodontist is the oral health care provider who specialises in the repair of natural teeth and/or the replacement of missing teeth on a much larger scale.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeon: oral and maxillofacial surgeon is the oral health care provider who performs many types of surgical procedures in and about the entire face, mouth, and jaw area.
10 common dental health problems
- Tooth decay : This dental cavity or dental caries is caused when plaque deposits on the teeth surface. The bacteria produces acids from sugar in food which permanently damages the enamel.
- Gum decay : Gingivitis is the early stage of periodontal disease. It is a bacterial infection that is caused by the buildup of plaque.The gums swell up and bleed .
- Bad breath : Bad breath or halitosis is one of the most common dental problems. It can be due to hyperacidity , poor brushing ,medication ,Dry mouth etc .
- Teeth sensitivity: is there sudden irritation and pain on eating something hot or cold ? Then you are suffering from sensitive teeth. The dentin has tubes that lead to the nerve deeper inside the tooth. Hot or cold substances can travel along the tubes to the nerve and cause intense pain.
- Cracked or broken teeth : such teeth can be a result of accident , teeth grinding while sleeping , mouth piercings or chewing hard substances.
- Receding gums : As the name suggests , the gums or fleshy part of your teeth starts receding which can be due to hormonal fluctuations in women , smoking ,high blood pressure,brushing too hard etc.
- Root infection: when you sustain a crooked ,cracked or broken teeth the problem of root infection arises .Root infection can lead to damaged tissues and nerves of the tooth, and eventually to the development of abscesses.
- Enamel erosion: enamel erosion means wiping off of the enamel on your skin that makes it discoloured,round looking and more susceptible to cracks and chips .It happens due to intake of sugary drinks and acids.
- Dry mouth : This is very common in old age and is usually caused by nerve damage , salivary gland disease,cancer treatments etc .
- Teeth grinding: Bruxism or teeth grinding usually happens when one is asleep but can also happen when the person is awake . The underlying reason for Bruxism can be stress or anxiety .
At Medharbour, you find the best dentist in Gurgaon who can fix all your dental pains, dental ailments and oral worries .
We are just a call or a text away . Visit our dentists who use minimal pain invasions for dental care .
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Knee & Hip
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports Injuries
- Pain Management
- Neuro Rehab
- Interventional Neurology
- Residential Care
- Breast Rehab
- Cardiovascular Treatments
- Geriatric Rehab
- General Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Ayurveda & Naturopathy
- Cancer Care
- Plastic Surgeries
- Dental Care
- Hair Transplant
- Wellness Fitness