Knee and Hip Complete Care at Medharbour, Gurgaon
Knee is the largest joint in the human body that connects the upper leg (femur) to the lower leg (tibia and fibula).The knee is most vulnerable joint that is exposed to great deal of stress due to lifting and kneeling and is most prone to damage due to everyday walking activities.
Knee pain -symptoms and causes
Knee pain is a common sight amongst people of all ages.It can arise due to ruptured ligament or torn cartilage and also due to arthritis, gout and infections.
Symptoms of knee pain :
- Pain upon walking and while flexing the knee
- Redness and swelling
- Inability to stand accompanied by shooting pain
- Popping and crunching noises
- Inability to straighten the knees
When to check with a doctor?
- When you experience unbearable pain that doesn’t go away for long period of time
- Swelling along with redness and fever
- When you aren’t able to straighten or flex your knees
- When you see any deformity in your legs
Causes of knee pain
Knee pain can arise either due to natural wear and tear or inconsistent diet and lack of exercise and can also be caused due to injury .
A knee injury can affect ligaments, tendons and bursae that surround the kees and also the cartilage bones and ligaments that form the joint.
Some of the common knee injuries include :
- ACL Injury: An ACL injury is a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) — one of four ligaments that connect your shinbone to your thighbone.This usually happens in people who are related to sports and need sudden change of movement.
- Fracture:fracture can happen to anyone of any age group.The bone of the knee including the knee cap can break due to sudden fall or accident.Also, people suffering from osteoporosis can suffer a fracture .
- Torn meniscus: The meniscus acts as a shock absorber between shin bone and thigh bone .It can be torn due to sudden twisting of knees while bearing weight .
- Knee bursitis : knee bursitis is a sac of fluid that helps tendons and ligaments glide smoothly over your joint . Some knee injuries can cause inflammation in this area.
- Patellar tendonitis: Tendons – the thick fibrous tissue that attaches muscles to bones . There can be inflammation when there’s an injury to the patellar tendon which runs from the kneecap (patella) to the shinbone and allows you to kick, run and jump.
Natural / mechanical causes of knee pain :
A natural cause doesn’t include any external injury or trauma . It’s rather due to mechanical reasons .
- Loose body : degeneration of bone or cartilage can cause a piece of bone or cartilage to break off and float in the joint space. This may not create any problems unless the loose body interferes with knee joint movement,
- Iliotibial band syndrome: when the tough band of tissue that extends from the outside of your hip to the outside of your knee becomes so tight that it rubs against the outer portion of your thighbone .
- Dislocated knee cap : this happens when your patella slips out of place, usually to the outside of your knee.
- Hip or foot pain: when you have hip or foot pain your changed way of mobility puts exertion on the knees causing it’s wear and tear .
What is knee replacement surgery?
Knee replacement surgery or complete knee replacement replaces injured or worn out joints including bones and cartilage with metals and plastic.
The goal of minimally invasive knee replacement surgery is to resurface the parts of the knee joint which have been damaged and to relieve chronic or constant knee pain which cannot be controlled by other non-surgical treatments.
Common types of surgery
The four main types of knee replacement surgery performed at Medharbour, Gurgaon are :
- total knee replacement
- unicompartmental (partial) knee replacement
- kneecap replacement (patellofemoral arthroplasty)
- complex or revision knee replacement.
Advantages of knee replacement surgery:
- Increase mobility
- Freedom from pain
- Improves quality of life due to exercise and everyday activities.
Research has shown that 4 out of 5 people are happy with knee replacement surgery and 1 out of 5 who are unhappy is due to pain that’s usually caused by minor joint injuries prior to operation.
Best knee replacement impant brands we use at Medharbour, Gurgaon:
- Johnson and Johnson
- Smith &Nephew
What is knee arthritis? Causes,Diagnosis and treatment:
Osteoarthritis is the most common cause of knee arthritis that gets worse with age .
The most common symptoms are pain, swelling and stiffness of the knee joint. Osteoarthritis wears away your cartilage — the cushioning between the three bones of your knee joint. Without that protection, your bones rub against each other. This can cause pain, stiffness and limited movement. It can also lead to the development of bone spurs.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. A healthy immune system causes inflammation (internal or external) when it’s trying to protect you from an infection, injury, toxin or another foreign invader.
Rheumatoid arthritis actually arises due to poor immune system.
- Creaking , clicking , grinding noises
- Difficulty in walking
- Joint stiffness
- Inability to stand .
- Inability to flex and straighten legs
- Redness, swelling and warmth
- Your knees lock when trying to move .
- CT Scan
Nonsurgical options don’t always work for everyone with knee arthritis. You might need to have a type of surgery, including an:
Why choose Medharbour for knee-hip care and replacement ?
Minimally invasive knee replacement surgery
Use of minimally invasive procedure
accompanied by latest techniques in modern science that leads to a minor cut of 4-6 inches as compared to traditional incision of 8-10 inches.
Our orthopaedic surgeons use the Best knee and hip joint implant that increases mobility and durability.
Our fleet of well qualified physiotherapist are available at all times of the day to help you with everyday exercise to relax stiff muscles and help you adopt to the new replacement.The physiotherapy sessions begin approximately 15 days post surgery.
After care and support
We offer follow-up consultations with the surgeon and provide instructions for post surgery care including dietary tips and exercises to our patients to ensure they have a smooth recovery.
What are the different kinds of knee implants?
Basically there are 4 different kinds of knee implants :
- Metal on plastic
- Ceramic on plastic
- Ceramic on ceramic
- Metal on metal
Metal on plastic :This is the most common type of implant. It features a metal femoral component that glides over a polyethylene plastic spacer attached to the tibial component. The metals commonly used include cobalt-chromium, titanium, zirconium, and nickel. Metal-on-plastic is the least expensive type of implant and has the longest track record for safety and implant life span.
Ceramic on plastic: This type uses a ceramic femoral component instead of metal (or a metal component with a ceramic coating). It also rides on a plastic spacer. People who are sensitive to the nickel used in metal implants might get the ceramic type.
Ceramic on ceramic: In this case ,femoral and tibial components are both made of ceramic.Ceramic parts are the least likely to react with body .
Metal on metal : The femoral and tibial components are both made of metal. Metal-on-metal implants have been used much less often in recent years because of concerns over traces of metal leaking into the bloodstream.
Hip injury leads to one of the most fatal surgeries as it includes complications and is life threatening.Hip fractures increase with age due to osteoporosis, imbalance and poor vision.
Almost all hip fractures require medical intervention, a major surgery followed by physiotherapy.
Following are the signs and symptoms of hip fracture:
- Inability to get up from the fall
- Acute pain in target area
- Immediate bruising and swelling
- Imbalance due to shorter leg on the side of injured hip
- Inability to put weight on injured leg
Causes of hip fracture:
In case of vehicular accident it can occur into individual of any age group
One of leading reasons of fractures these days is osteoporosis
Among people of older age group , falling from height can cause hip fracture
Risk factors include :
Many factors increase the risk of hip fracture :
- Your age and sex
- Medical condition such as osteoporosis,thyroid, intestinal disorders,balancing problem
- Certain medications
- Lifestyle changes
- Nutritional problems
Lack of mobility leads to further complications such as :
- Blood clots in legs or lungs
- Loss of muscle mass
Medical Diagnosis of Hip fracture :
A doctor will generally ask you to get an x-ray done which will tell you about location and severity of fracture.
In case the x-ray doesn’t clearly show the fracture , MRI or CT Scan may be performed(this usually happens in case of hairline fracture)
Types of hip fracture:
Most hip fractures occur in one of two locations on the long bone that extends from the pelvis to your knee (femur):
The femoral neck. This area is situated in the upper portion of your femur, just below the ball part (femoral head) of the ball-and-socket joint.
The intertrochanteric region. This region is a little farther down from the hip joint, in the portion of the upper femur that juts outward.
Healthy lifestyle choices in early age and build up of healthy muscle mass reduces the risk of osteoporosis .To avoid breakage of bones follow the following regime :
- Sufficient intake of calcium and vitamin D
- Exercise and build up of muscle mass
- Assess the home for hazards
- Avoid smoking and drinking
- Use a cane or walking stick in cases of imbalance or loss of vision.
Almost all hip fractures involve surgery , rehabilitation and follow up to manage pain , prevent blood clots and infections.
Types of Hip Surgery
The kind of hip surgery doctors would recommend you depends on where and how severe the fracture is, whether the broken bones aren’t properly aligned (displaced),your age and underlying health conditions.The three most practised surgical repairs are :
Internal repair using screws :Metal screws are inserted into the bone to hold it together while the fracture heals. Sometimes screws are attached to a metal plate that runs down the femur.
Total hip replacement:The upper femur and the socket in the pelvic bone are replaced with prosthesis.Studies show total hip replacement to be more cost-effective and associated with better long-term outcomes in healthy adults who live independently.
Partial hip replacement. In some situations, the socket part of the hip doesn’t need to be replaced. Partial hip replacement might be recommended for adults who have other health conditions or who no longer live independently.
Post operative care vitally depends upon physiotherapy which focuses on a range of motions to increase mobility and strengthen muscles . Irrespective of help available at home and no matter how minor the surgery may be , one should always opt for physio care .
Initially, a walker may be needed while in the long run , a patient will be trained to walk independently.
Why undergo knee and hip replacement surgery at Medharbour?
✅ Team of Well qualified doctors : At Medharbour,we have a team of well qualified doctors with experience of more than 10+years upto 40 years of experience.Our doctors are no less than M.S in orthopaedics and have dedicated major time of practice to specialise in particular segment .
✅ Easy Consultation : you can book your appointments easily with us . We are truly just a call away . You can connect with us and our doctors will guide you to the best of their capability.
✅Affordable treatment : The treatment and surgeries at Medharbour are completely budget friendly . We provide affordable knee arthroplasty to encourage our patients to receive treatment.
✅ Physiotherapy support : our physiotherapist are ever ready to help you with exercise, ease pain and enhance mobility post surgery . They will ensure you are on your toes at the time of discharge from hospital .
✅ Ambulance and meal facility : Our ambulance is available 24/7 for any pick and drop.All nutritious meals are provided to the patient for speedy recovery .
How to book appointment at Medharbour, Gurgaon?
- Book your appointment on our helpline number , our medical coordinator will book your slot based on your location , severity , symptoms and convenience.
- Fill up ‘book an appointment ‘ form available at our website and we will send you a message of your bookings .
Book with us via leading apps that will directly book an appointment with our highly qualified doctors .
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Knee & Hip
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports Injuries
- Pain Management
- Neuro Rehab
- Interventional Neurology
- Residential Care
- Breast Rehab
- Cardiovascular Treatments
- Geriatric Rehab
- General Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Ayurveda & Naturopathy
- Cancer Care
- Plastic Surgeries
- Dental Care
- Hair Transplant
- Wellness Fitness