Hair Transplant Restoration
Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure where hair follicles are transferred from ‘donor site'(place from where the hair is extracted)to the ‘recipient site’ ( place of baldness where hair follicle is received). Worldwide, around 60 percent of men and 50 percent of women experience some sort of hair loss. Each strand of hair begins in a hair follicle and normally grows for two to six years before going into a resting phase and falling out. When the follicle begins to grow a new hair, the cycle starts again. Hair transplant is a restoration method,the first of its kind was performed in 1939 in Japan with single scalp hair. In the following decades, physicians developed the “plug” technique. This involves transplanting large tufts of hair. As time passed by, surgeons began using mini- and micro-grafts to minimise the appearance of transplanted hair on the scalp.
Who needs a hair transplant?
Hair transplant can be needed by a person of any gender and age . Today , people lose hair in their 20s and face patterns of baldness that no medicine can fix .Hair transplant surgeons in Gurgaon are the best doctors for hair transplant at Medharbour.You are a good candidate for hair transplant if you have :
- Male pattern baldness ,which happens to the majority of males .
- Female pattern baldness
- Thinning of hair
- Scalp Injury
- Genetic disorders
- Scarring or burning
- Hair loss from cosmetic surgery procedures.
- Desire to have a head full of hair to build up confidence and feel comfortable.
Stages of baldness
The Norwood scale (or Hamilton-Norwood scale) is used to measure the extent of male pattern baldness. The Norwood scale has seven stages. Each stage measures the severity and pattern of hair loss.
Stage 1: No significant hair loss or recession of the hairline.
Stage 2. There is a slight recession of the hairline around the temples,known as adult or mature hairline.
Stage 3. The first signs of significant balding appear at this stage. The hairline caves in at both the temples, showcasing an M, U, or V shape. The recessed spot is either completely bald or has few hair. There is significant loss at the scalp of hair called the vertex.
Stage 4. The hairline recession is more severe as compared to stage 2 and there are few hair or no hair on the vertex.
Stage 5. The two areas of hair loss are larger than in stage 4. They are still separated, but the band of hair between them is narrower and sparser.
Stage 6. The balding areas at the temples join with the balding area at the vertex. The band of hair across the top of the head is gone or sparse.
Stage 7. The most extreme stage of hair loss, only a band of hair going around the sides of the head remains. The hair is just fine.
Procedures/methods of hair transplant
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Follicular unit extraction is a surgical procedure where an individual hair follicle is extracted from a healthier,dense part of the scalp , referred to as donor site and implanted to the recipient site where hair is either absent ( baldness ) or thinner.
Follicular unit extraction is considerably more popular than Follicular unit transplantation as it heals earlier , leaves no visible scar and doesn’t give a ‘hair plug’ look. Surgeons in FUE use micropunches to extract a single follicle and 0.5mm micro blade is used at the recipient site to fix the grafts.
Highlights of FUE:
- Outpatient procedure ( you don’t need to be admitted at the hospital)
- Multiple sessions of 2-4 hours each
- Procedure that takes several days
- Temporary,minor side effects that resolve soon
- You shouldn’t do any vigorous exercise post procedure for upto a week
- Don’t comb your hair for at least 3 weeks
- Don’t wash or shower your hair for at least 3 days
- Regrowth of hair at recipient site within 2-4 months
- Cost of FUE depends upon the amount of hair to be extracted,number of sessions needed , experience and availability of surgeons in your area.
Follicular Unit Transplantation(FUT)
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT) is the traditional hair transplant method which involves extracting a strip of hair bearing skin from the back or the side of the scalp. The strip usually doesn’t exceed 1 to 1.5 centimetres in width.This strip is then dissected to separate individual grafts.
Once this strip is dissected,individual hair follicles are re-inserted into your scalp .
Highlights of FUT:
- Regrowth of hair takes from 6 months -9 months
- The scar at donor site is visible if hair is kept short
- Candidates with male pattern baldness are best suited for FUT
- Generally performed on people over the age of 25
- Most useful for treating hair baldness at the front of the head
- People with dense hair follicles have greater coverage.
- Shorter operation time
- Cheaper surgical procedure
Robotic hair restoration
Robotic hair restoration devices utilise cameras and robotic features to assist the surgeon with the FUE procedure. In 2009, NeoGraft became the first robotic surgical device.The ARTAS System was FDA approved in 2011 for use in harvesting follicular units from brown-haired and black-haired men.
Types of surgery
There are a number of applications for hair transplant surgery, including:
- Androgenetic alopecia
- Eyebrow transplant
- Frontal hairline lowering or reconstruction (naturally high hairlines without an existing hair loss condition)
Hair transplant side effects
Scarring is one such side effect that comes with almost all the surgical procedures .
Other potential side effects include:
- Infection in the treated area.
- Pus drainage around the surgical sites
- scalp pain, itching, and swelling
- inflammation of hair follicles (folliculitis)
- loss of sensation
- Hair thinning
- Continued hair baldness even after the procedure
Celebrities who had hair transplantation
Many famous Indian and international celebrities have opted for hair transplantation as good looks and confidence is the key to success in entertainment industry and possibly for anyone aired on television .Let’s have a look on a few famous celebs:
- Steve Carell– One of America’s favourite entertainers, popular actor, and comedian.
- Floyd Mayweather-One of the greatest boxers of all time.
- David Beckham-One of England’s finest players and world’s biggest male stars is the former professional footballer.
- Machine Gun Kelly-an international celebrity who had around 3500- 4500 grafts
- Lebron James -The best basketball player in history.
- Elon Musk– the highest net worth person on the planet Earth.
- Gordon Ramsey -a celebrity chef who had FUE hair transplant
- Bradley Cooper-a famous Hollywood actor.
- Tyga-The upbeat rapper who has mixed ethnicity with Vietnamese and Jamaican parents
- Rafael Nadal-one of the greatest clay-court tennis players of our generation had FUE hair transplant
- Salman Khan -very famous Indian actor in Bollywood industry.
- Prince Harry– The youngest member of the British Royal Family
Thinking about getting a hair transplant? Start your journey by contacting our medical staff for hair transplant at Medharbour, Gurgaon.When it comes to hair transplant the clock is always tickling.
Our doctors will assess you and guide you from day 1 of the visit . Change your life today with utmost confidence and positivity.
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Knee & Hip
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports Injuries
- Pain Management
- Neuro Rehab
- Interventional Neurology
- Residential Care
- Breast Rehab
- Cardiovascular Treatments
- Geriatric Rehab
- General Medicine
- Diabetes Care
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Shoulder Elbow Wrist
- Ayurveda & Naturopathy
- Cancer Care
- Plastic Surgeries
- Dental Care
- Hair Transplant
- Wellness Fitness